Frech Funeral Home is one of the oldest continuous enterprises in Dumont. It was originally opened in 1899 by Irving L. Cranston and his wife Anna E., at 150 Washington Ave., Dumont. The original house was later moved to Brook Street where it still stands, just north of the Dumont Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
Mr. Cranston was a member of the Blauvelt family, a family with deep roots within Dumont and Bergen County. In the late 1920s he took a partner, E.L. Keiner, who remained proprietor after Cranston’s death in 1927.
In 1939, the funeral home was purchased by E.F. Frech, the name it still bares today. Frech, who had relocated from Peekskill, NY, enclosed the sun porch and later put the first addition on the north side of the building. Robert C. Fleischmann purchased the business in 1954 and is responsible for the look of the premises as we see them.
In 1993, Frank Magda, who had been with Frech since 1966, became the fifth owner of the business with his wife Dolores.
Upon Frank Magda's retirement in 2011, The Frech Funeral Home was acquired by the Mcknight Family, who take pride in over 40 years of Funeral Service in Hudson County as owner's of the Failla Memorial home in Hoboken, NJ. The Senior Director is David J. McKnight, who will diligently provide the same quality service and sensitivity to the families of Bergen County during their time of need.